You know that feeling when you know what you are supposed to be doing? You literally have the answer to how to get out of the slump you’ve been in, yet you are so caught up in yourself, overthinking the little things, that you don’t take the time and effort to do what you have to do to get better.
Well that’s been me.
I have come to the realization that though I have great intentions, I want to encourage others to live the best life they are capable of living, I haven’t fully worked out some of essential things in my life which are caring for and loving myself.
I decided that I needed to revamp my 2016 goals to include self-care and self-love.
Don’t get me wrong, I have definitely been working on those two areas a lot this year, more than I ever have in my life. But not in the “this is a main priority” way but more so in the “oh this is necessary I should try these things” way.
I haven’t devoted the time and attention that these areas deserve in my life.
If you don’t already know, self-care simply means taking care of yourself, and self-love means loving yourself.
You can work on these things by making the commitment to incorporate activities into your daily life that make you feel good about yourself and happy to be alive.
I’ve decided to share with you guys some examples of self-care and self-love practices that I like and I have incorporated into my life (BTW: I recently wrote this post on some ways you can love yourself, feel free to check it out) :
- Practice Gratitude – This can simply be daily journaling about things you are grateful for or just taking a couple of minutes everyday to think about some things you are grateful for that day.
- Spend Time Alone – This can involve disconnecting from the noise of life, such as social media and people in general (I highly recommend it. It is so helpful). You can take time to empty your mind and meditate on positive things, read a book; do something that you enjoy without focusing on the rest of the world for a while.
- Exercise – I will never get tired of saying how good exercise is. Like I’ve said numerous times before, exercise helps you feel and look good. It’s a good way to clear your mind creating a temporary relief from the stress and anxiety of life.
- Have a Girls/Guys night – Grab some movies, go out for drinks, do whatever you want, but make a habit of scheduling time with the people that make life a little better for you.
- Have a spa day – There’s nothing like getting a facial, massage, your nails and hair did. Pamper yourself the way you want.
Bonus tip: Another thing that you can do is pick one specific theme to focus on each month for the rest of the year or even into next year. Focus on spending that month incorporating that activity into your daily routine until it becomes a habit.
Honestly, this list could go on forever. However, what works for me won’t always work for you.
I challenge you to take some time and think of all the things that make you feel good and happy to be alive and then incorporate them into your daily life.
You are amazing and capable and deserving of all the greatness and love in the world.
It honestly, all starts with you.